Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Today, I learned that sitting through a three hour class lecture in Spanish is difficult. Actually, sitting through any three hour lecture is difficult, but I still have to concentrate to understand everything in Spanish. I also learned that being the only "gringa" in class is intimidating... especially when you are singled out for your opinion just because you're a "gringa." It makes sense though, and the good news is that I will expect that in class, and everywhere, from now on!

I really like the campus at the University. It is completely fenced in from the street, and there are tons of well-kept lawns, beautiful trees and flowers. It is a total escape from the city, and it is very nice to have that sometimes. There are also a ton of deer that just roam around the campus. Its cool because they aren't too scared of people anymore, so they like to just hang out wherever. I was wondering where the deer came from... they definitely didn't come from the city... some kid told me that they escaped from the zoo, and the zoo didn't want them back. I actually believed him at first. People are starting to catch on to my being gullible, especially Tito my host father. He tells me the most ridiculous things about Peru, and then he laughs at me when I actually believe them. Although, just for the record, this place can be pretty crazy and random, so its not totally dumb that I actually believe this stuff.

This morning I went to take a shower, and the water didn't turn. I went downstairs to ask about the problem, and my host mother calmly told me that none of the house was getting water for some reason. I asked why, and she said she wasn't sure. It was no big deal. I guess everybody that lives here is used to the semi-poor infrastructure. I am getting used to it. It is just a little unpredictable!

One more unpredictable thing in Lima (and most of Latin America from what I've heard) is time. I noticed today that most of the clocks at the university show different times (one clock showed that I was late for class, another showed that I was ten minutes early). Maybe that explains why professors are sometimes a half hour late to class? Its pretty amusing, however, there are other professors who are very punctual and who are mad if students aren't so punctual. Very unpredictable! The inconsistant time thing can be great though, I am used to being on such a schedule, and it has been very nice to not constantly worry about what time it is. Nobody really cares, and its easy for us students to stay up talking to our family past midnight. We learn a lot, and practice our Spanish a lot, for hours!

I'll post pictures of the university soon.

Also, RIP to my first, and favorite, cat Lacey Jo. This picture is a tribute to our good times together :)




1 comment: