Monday, September 14, 2009

Hi! I am still enjoying Peru. I have been pretty busy relaxing, hanging out with friends, and practicing my Spanish. Well, the practicing Spanish is constant, but I just wanted to assure everyone that I am accomplishing something educational down here! In my spare time, I work on my homework. The material in my classes is not difficult by any means, but what makes the classes difficult for me is the fact that they are all in Spanish. Readings, papers, tests...everything takes three times as long. My Spanish is still improving though!

Other than that, days are becoming more routine as I have become used to everything for the most part. The 45 minute commute to school on the combis (mini buses) passes by quickly now, when it used to seem like a never ending ride. I have made some friends in my classes, and everybody is still super nice, patient, and helpful all the time. I am really lucky to have gotten great professors and students in my classes!

I have discovered how amazing the pirated video and music deals are down here. It is completely illegal (I guess?), but there are dozens of stores like this down every street, and nobody is doing anything to stop it. Needless to say, I am taking advantage of it (when in Rome, right?) and adding to my movie/music collection. I'm currently looking for the "Planet Earth" series. I wonder if pirated videos come in HD??? :)

My friend Kevin bought me a jar of peanut butter for my birthday. Peruvians don't really like, eat, or use peanut butter, so I haven't had it since I have been here. I had been looking for it at the markets, but only a few grocery stores carry it. Anyways, peanut butter has never tasted so good! That made me really happy.

In other news, my mom bought a ticket to come down and visit me in October. We are planning on visiting Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca. I am really looking forward to it!



Confetti and Peruvian Flags at a parade.

Alyse, Colleen and I, and my two cakes on my birthday. So sweet of everyone!

I woke up to a "Feliz CumpleaƱos, Alison!" sign with lollipops on my door. Very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment