Sunday, October 25, 2009

My mom made it back home safe and sound. We had a really great time, and the week went super fast! It was fun to watch my mom react to the country that, by now, I have gotten completely used to. Amongst the things she noted, "Wow, like ten minutes after I wash my hands, there is dirt under my fingernails again. And I haven't even touched anything!" VERY true. My mom also got a taste of how Peru really functions when our train back from Machu Picchu bypassed the town where all the passengers were supposed to get off because "Oh, they closed down most of the roads in town, so we can't go there anymore." Except nobody said anything about the change of plans until all of us from the train had been standing around outside some random maintenance building in the middle of nowhere, luggage and all, for at least ten minutes. There was much confusion (especially for those lacking Spanish), but luckily, as always, everything got sorted out in its own time and travelers got another lesson in patience.

I haven't gotten a chance to write about Machu Picchu yet, but as one could guess, it was amazing! It even met my extremely high standards for landmarks/historic sites, so that says something! Machu Picchu is definitely out there, and it took quite a few different modes of transportation to reach our destination... plane, taxi, train, bus, and finally foot. Without a doubt, vale la pena (worth it)! Being amongst the ruins really makes you ponder how on earth the Inca people constructed the city, how long it took them, where they got all the rocks, how all the rocks fit together so perfectly, etc. Not knowing the answers makes me a little frustrated to be honest, but there isn't exactly a lot I can do to change that! Thus, I just enjoyed walking around, appreciating the ingenuity of the Incas, and taking in the view of the surroundings. The cloud forests caused by the more tropical climate made the mountains around Machu Picchu some of the most beautiful that I have ever seen. My mom and I arrived at the ruins around six in the morning, which was perfect timing to watch the clouds lift over the next hour.

One of my favorite moments of the day was sitting on the terraced hillside, which the Inca used to grow crops, enjoying the serenity when I heard a mother pleading with her son, age six or so, "Look honey, look at the llamas!" To which the young boy replied in an aggravated six year old voice, "STUPID llamas, STUPID rocks, STUPID mountains!" It was hilarious. I guess they should've just gone to Disneyland. At least my mom and I got a good laugh!

The city of Cusco was also very cool. We toured the cathedral (very baroque and gaudy, I loved it!), shopped in the markets, and people watched in the plaza (my favorite are the children in traditional clothes carrying their baby llamas, too cute, just make sure to tip them when you take photos!).

I only have about five more weeks of school, and seven weeks of Peru, left. Yet, I feel like I just got here!

Miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ali,
    I love, reading this and am thinking about you and how you are doing. It's informational and has a personal touch.
    Good job!

    Aunt T

    ReplyDelete