Thursday, October 8, 2009

Today is a holiday in Peru, some battle between Peru and Chile in a war a long time ago. All I know is that I don't have classes today, and that made me super happy! Today, I am planning on going to the Museo de la Nación (National Muesem), which is only a few blocks away from my house. The huge mueseum holds tons of Peru's history, which there is a lot of! I am going mostly to see the terrorism exhibit. In the last couple decades, the 80's and especially the 90's, there was a lot of terrorism and political unrest here in Peru. A lot of the problems stemmed from a terrorist group called the Sendero Luminoso (Shining Path). The social problems weren't all that long ago, and thus it is still a huge topic of discussion for Peruvians today. I don't know tons about it, I have only heard some stories from a few friends that are old enough to remember, and my host parents. It is a really interesting topic though, and I am excited to learn more. If you are interested, there are Wikipedia pages on el Sendero Luminoso, and Alberto Fujimori (the ex-presidente of Peru that is now in jail for tons of stuff that happened in the time of all the terrorism).

I had a great time travelling to the beach in Máncora. It was every bit as sunny and gorgeous as I had hoped. I layed on the beach, went surfing, ate ceviche (a traditional Peruvian dish of raw fish, lime juice, potatoes, and corn). Peruvians are SUPER proud of their ceviche. It was delicious, so I can see why! A lot of Peruvians gave me a hard time for not trying it sooner.

Beautiful Hibiscus.

Relo and I. He taught me how to surf. I thought surfing was going to be one of those "one time just for the experience" things, but I actually really enjoyed it! I am planning on continuing to surf in Lima.

My friend Jacqui and I enjoying the sunset. Those are fishing boats on the horizon. Fishing is a huge industry along the coast of Peru.

There were tons of horses on the beach. I thought that only happened in the movies!

The hostel we stayed at was owned by a surf instructor. Everybody really knows how to relax in this town. In fact, thats all they really seem to do. Relax, surf, have a drink or two, and then surf some more. It was great for the weekend, but I can't imagine actually living like that every single day. A little too relaxed for me, and probably for most Americans! I had no complaints about all the hammocks though :)

Some cute little crabs. This was actually right before they started fighting...

I have always heard that the sun near the equator is a lot stronger. Well, it is. I went through a TON of sunscreen! The first day I forgot to put sunscreen on the top of my feet... after that nasty burn, I did not forget to sunscreen one square millimeter of my skin for the rest of the weekend! Also, the hand sanitizing wipes came in handy way more than once on the beach, Aunt Lee :) As did the snacks! You're the best, thanks!

I have a few midterms this coming week, I am not too worried though. Maybe I should be? I have never taken a Peruvian midterm, but for right now I am just happy to live in my blissful ignorance! Although, I have lots of time to study this weekend, so that's what I'll do. In one week from today my mother will be en route to Lima. I am still really excited! She is bringing me Mini Wheats, my favorite cereal that I haven't had in months :) Thanks Mom.

One last thing, I went to the supermarket this morning and it was decked out in Christmas trees, oranaments, lights, penguins, snowmen, the whole nine yards. Is this happening yet in the U.S.? I didn't know anybody could be quicker to start promoting the holidays than Wal*Mart, Macy's, etc. I guess Peru doesn't have Thanksgiving merchandise to sell, maybe thats it. It just struck me as funny! It is only the beginning of October! Not to mention, it is sort of bizarre to be entering into spring/summer and the holiday season at the same time. Those two seasons don't go together in my world!

Lots of love to everyone! I miss you all.






No comments:

Post a Comment